Thursday 11 April 2013

     First day back in work experience and i'm not sure I even like it.
     I started at half nine, and met a few girls that i'd be working with. I was put into a downstairs room, and greeted by fourteen four year old children. The room was split into two different areas, Montessori and maths. I wasn't sure what i was meant to do, so I just started talking and playing with them. I soon realized that they were all really independent  and could do a lot of things on their own.
     One of carers, Rachel, suggested that I could mold playdoh with them in to different shapes, so i did. I sat down on my own at a little table, and as soon as I took out the playdoh a handful of kids came running over to the chairs beside me. They watched in awe, and copied everything i made.
     After an hour and a half, of playing and molding  we switched sides. with the other group. The Montessori has a technique to get them all to clean up and switch sides in an orderly manner. They ring a little bell, and ask the children to tidy up whatever they're playing with. They do so, and sit down quietly. Little cards are distributed to the children and they are asked to swap with someone over the other side of the room.
     When we switched, the girls went and drew pretty pictures while the boys played with blocks. I started of drawing too, and the girls gave me ideas of what to draw for them. I then would ask simple questions like what's in your picture and why. It was then I realized how advanced they are. They're really smart for their age, and are well capable of talking about things.
     Soon enough it was time to clean up again, and they did their little ritual and sat down quietly. It was a special day today, as it was Maya's fourth birthday. They all sang 'Happy Birthday' and cake was distributed. Before they went home at half eleven, they were read a story and I noticed how much concentration they gave to little detail.
     I walked home with Rosie, a girl doing work experience too, at eleven o'clock for my lunch. We had to be back in by two.
     At two o'clock, a new group of kids were settled in the downstairs room. These children were aged between 5-9. They had their little snack of hot food, while me and Rosie dried up the slides outside. After their food, they poured into the yard to play. We were to keep a watchful eye on them and help them with whatever they needed. 
     One of the children wanted us to go around the yard, climbing with them, and this is when Rosie got stuck in a tunnel!
     At three o'clock, they children were sent back inside. The older ones sat in the downstairs room, while the younger ones were brought upstairs. I went upstairs, and we started to bake. Everyone would take turns putting ingredients and stiring the mixture. After a while the kids got fed up and went to go play. Me and Sarah finished to cooking off, and then went to decorate drawings that they had completed the previous day. 
     The children decorated a stencil drawing of a butterfly with glitter and paint with great imagination and artistic skills. They also used pipe cleaners as the butterfly's feelers and gave him little legs. The looked amazing when they were completed.
     I go off at four o'clock, and was waved away by everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment